The kitchen is arguably the most important room in a house and one of the central features of any kitchen is the oven. If the time has come to swap out your old oven and bring in an upgraded model, here are some of the best ovens Australians can buy today, broken down into some of the most popular categories.
Best Overall Oven
NEFF 60cm Pyrolytic Slide&Hide® Electric Built-In Oven
- This multifunction oven comes with 12 heat and cooking functions.
- Easy to clean thanks to modern pyrolytic self-cleaning technology that turns grease into ash.
When it comes to cooking performance, it doesn't get much better than this popular Neff model. With an impressive range of features from a cool-touch oven door to quadruple glazing, the slide and hide door allows optimal access to the oven cavity for ultimate convenience, while the ultra-modern touch control panel keeps things classy and inconspicuous.
Best Electric Oven
Westinghouse 60cm Stainless Steel Electric Oven
- The stainless steel construction makes the oven extra durable and stain-resistant.
- Five different shelf levels allow you to cook multiple dishes at the same time.
- The 80-litre large capacity makes this a great oven for large families or those who like to entertain
- It must be hardwired, meaning a professional electrician must be hired, and the kitchen shape must be suitable.
Electric ovens are generally considered the best all-rounders for everyday cooking tasks. The fully integrated single oven is perfect for preparing family meals thanks to ample space and rapid heat for fast, even cooking.
Some of the best oven functions include a fan-forced oven setting, air frying, a fan grill, defrost, and a specialised pizza setting. The simple controls and multiple safety features (including child lock) make this Westinghouse oven one of the most family-friendly electric models out there.
Best Cheap Oven
Arc 60cm Electric Built-In Oven
- Simple, easy to use controls
- Energy-efficient fan oven
- Like all built-in kitchen appliances, it requires a qualified electrician to install
Arc makes an excellent built-in wall oven that takes the top spot for our best budget buy. Some of the best features include multi-level shelving, five cooking options, triple-glazed doors, and a 56-litre main oven.
Built-in ovens generally look sleek and professional, and this is no different. You can have it fitted at the height that suits you best, in the exact place you want it. The low price does mean that the functions are more streamlined than other models.
Best Premium Oven
NEFF 60cm Built-In Combi-Steam Oven
- Cook on multiple levels using different settings simultaneously
- 12 heating methods as well as 30 automatic programs
- Retractable oven door
- Premium price point
If you are in the market for a professional-grade built-in oven that can truly do it all, look no further than this combination steam oven from Neff. The price tag is hefty, but you do get a lot of bang for your buck.
Great for your health and your taste buds, steam ovens produce deliciously juicy foods easily and consistently. Add that to the integrated maxi grill, temperature probe, self-cleaning liners, and a choice of 12 cooking settings.
Best Double Oven
Westinghouse 60cm Pyrolytic Double Oven
- As a pyrolytic oven, it is extremely easy to clean
- The top oven has an 80 litres capacity, and the secondary space has 46 litres
- It's complicated to set up, so you probably need to hire a specialist
This Westinghouse dual-fuel double oven with multiple steam functions, a built-in air fryer, and a separate grill attachment is a versatile offering which has resonated strongly with customers.
Double ovens are perfect for people who like to cook big meals for a lot of people, or prepare multiple oven-cooked dishes simultaneously.
Best Freestanding Oven
Bosch 60cm Serie 6 Freestanding Electric Oven/Stove
- Sophisticated stainless steel and black glass finish
- Energy efficient induction cooking
- Induction cooktops only work with magnetic cookware
- Requires profressional installation unlike some other freestanding ovens
A slow cook oven, grill pan, and cooktop all in one: the Bosch Serie 6 is comprehensive enough to meet the cooking needs for many kitchens. It is self-cleaning and, according to many customer reviews, cooks quickly and evenly every time.
Best Oven Brands
Although not a budget brand, Westinghouse offers an affordable an affordable range of popular ovens with excellent value for money. Australian manufacturer Bosch ovens command a slightly more premium price, however they receive rave reviews from customers and have a reputation for high-quality products. Finally, Neff offers a range of sophisticated premium appliances, with cutting edge features and a focus on energy efficiency.
How To Choose Which Oven To Buy
What are steam ovens best for?
The best steam ovens can do most of the same things as a normal oven. Benefits of having a steam function include healthier meals, faster cooking times, less chance of burnt food, and juicy meats.
Are electric ovens good for baking?
If you love to bake and want to buy the best oven for making cakes or pastries, stick to an electric oven. Gas ovens put off more intense heat and are more likely to give you an uneven bake.
What type of oven is the easiest to install?
Freestanding ovens are, in general, the easiest to install because they don't usually require hardwiring.
You should be very careful with gas models, as the connection needs to be totally secure. To be on the safe side, it's best to always have a professional look at your gas oven connection, even if it is freestanding.
What is the difference between a convection and a conventional oven?
Conventional ovens cook by trapping heat inside a box, whereas convection ovens move heat around the space using fans.
Convection ovens are considered more cost-effective and are the more popular design in modern appliances. Convection ovens often have a setting for baking which operates like a conventional oven, since convection can lead to the outside of a cake cooking faster than the centre.